Now into my second year of living in London, I am incredibly lucky to be here and loving every minute of it. But living in London means I’m not living in Australia, my home: the place with my family, friends and all the Mint Slices.
As an Aussie living in London, there are of course things from home that I miss. Bondi Beach, Tim Tams, Milo and Aldi wine selection are of course top of the list, but there are other things as well, many of which I took for granted that now I really miss.
As an Aussie expat living in London, here are the 20 things I miss most about Australia.
- My rent not taking up 30% of my salary and bills taking up a further 20%. Oh disposable income, I didn’t know how good you were and I left you for the bright lights on London 🙁
- Mum’s chicken parmigiana.
- A flat white coffee that’s creamy and comes in more than one size.
- Independent boutiques and coffee shops. Too many Prets, Eats and Costas.
- Having four distinct seasons. London is winter with six weeks of summer.
- Hearing phrases like “Yeah, nah mate. I’m headed to the servo for a pack of durries so I can get you a long neck then, yeah? Or should we just go to the pub for a counter and a schooner?”.
- My Kitchen Rules where a gorgeous Frenchman, an angry Irishman, and an idiot Australian trying to make bone broth for children, ask “Where’s the sauce?”.
- Having a backyard where I could drink a glass of wine in the sunshine with a dog under foot.
- The beach, with real sand and not pebbles.
- Sitting outside. In London I don’t have outdoor space at home, when I eat out either the restaurant doesn’t have outdoor space or it’s on a main smoggy roady, or it’s cold and grey and you want to be inside with the heater on.
- Fresh, non-smoggy, clean air that doesn’t turn my snot black.
- Not having to wear four layers to leave the house only to take them all off in 10 minutes when you arrive at the tube station.
- Having a car. While the tube is great for getting home when you go out for a few drinks after work (i.e. get shit faced on a Tuesday), carrying a week’s worth of groceries home on foot is not doing nice things to my shoulders.
- Super fast broadband. Optus, I am sorry for all the horrible things I said about you. I promise, if you come back to me I will never say those nasty things again.
- Aussie products that the world needs in their life: Go-to Skin care, Kmart (everything they stock!), pawpaw cream, de Lorenzo hair care, pyjamas from Susan’s and all things Witchery. Although, Kikki K has now come to London, so at least I can journal happily.
- People understanding how disgusting Fosters and Yellowtail are. Here Fosters is on tap in all the pubs and Yellowtail is over 5 quid a bottle!
- The sunsetting after 4pm.
- The wildlife. Sure a squirrel is cute, but it’s no lorikeet or kangaroo in the front yard.
- The Australian language: thongs, lollies, pants and ‘the shits’ all mean very different things here in England. FYI the differences are:
- Thongs: A = flip flop shoes, E = g-string underwear
- Lollies: A = sweets, E = iced lolly or an ice blocks
- Pants: A = trousers, jeans etc, E = underwear, knickers, jocks etc.
- The shits: A = I’m angry, E = I have the runs, I am shitting.
What do you miss about your home while living overseas? Share in the comments.